Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sticky Gingerbread with Royal Icing



So my lovely mother gave me an early christmas present of Nigella's Christmas Cookbook. It is such a beautiful book with so many delicious recipes. I'd seen Nigella make this Sticky Gingerbread on one of her Christmas tv specials and it looked absolutely divine. I had decided not to make gingerbread men this year but still wanted that yummy ginger and spice aroma around the house so this recipe was perfect.


This cake-like treat is so moist and light you could very well get carried away and eat a whole lot before you even realise! When I came to make this recipe I realised I didn't have all the ingredients listed so I had to make some substitutes. The result was delicious! I wanted a contrasting icing so I thought of using royal icing that sets hard. That way there would be a crisp crust and a super soft cake underneath. That was the idea but turns out I didn't make the icing thick enough and it didn't really set as hard as I would have liked.


Sticky Gingerbread with Royal Icing

(adapted from Nigella's Christmas Cookbook)

What you will need


150 g butter
400 g golden syrup
125 g caster sugar
2 tsp finely grated ginger
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, dissolved in 2 tbsp warm water
250 ml milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
300g plain flour
1 packet Royal Icing

What you will need to do


Preheat oven to 170*C and line a lamington tin with baking paper. Place butter, syrup, sugar, gingers, spice and cloves in a saucepan until melted. Take off the heat and add milk, eggs and bicarbonate of soda. Add the flour and beat until mixed. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes. When cooked it will be just firm to touch in the middle but still a but moist on top. Try not to overcook.

Cool in tin and then cut into squares. Place in fridge to cool right down. To make the royal icing, follow instructions on the packet by adding water in small amounts while beating. Use a palette knife and spread the icing over each piece.




No comments:

Post a Comment