Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chocolate Brownies


I used to make brownies a lot. I mean A LOT! Every time I went to a gathering I would take a plate of brownies and they would disappear instantly. I had a fail proof recipe that was not only quick and easy, but also economical. It didn't use any chocolate only cocoa powder so you were bound to have the ingredients on hand.


The only issue I had with this recipe was that it didn't exactly tick all the boxes for the perfect brownie. My guidelines for a great brownie include:
  • Crispy thin crust on the top
  • Dense middle
My brownies were fairly dense, but they were more cake like and didn't have a crust :(. It will always be my go to recipe though for last minute brownies when I have no chocolate :).


I am always searching for the perfect brownie recipe...and I think I found it! I tried a recipe from the Nestle cookbook but it wasn't quite right. They did taste a lot nicer after I froze them though, a tip I picked up from David Lebovitz. But then I tried a recipe I found on this wonderful blog 'I eat therefore I am' and what do you know, pretty awesome brownies!


I tried two variations, one with milk and white choc-chips and another with cookie dough (as seen on Bakerella). My choc-chips sunk to the bottom :( I think I should have added them at the end once the mixture was already in the pan. The cookie dough brownies turned out pretty spot on.


Chocolate Brownies

Adapted from I eat therefore I am

What you will need

300g dark chocolate
125g unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp coffee powder dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
1/2 cup plain flour sifted

For choc-chip variation
1/2 cup white choc-chips
1/2 cup milk choc-chips

For cookie dough variation
1 packet cookie dough mix, made up

What you will need to do

Preheat oven to 180*C. Line a baking tin with baking paper (I used a loaf tin and a small round cake tin and found the cake tin worked better). In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and butter. Put aside to cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. Fold in coffee, flour and chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into pan. 

For choc-chip variation, sprinkle white and milk choc-chips over mixture and swirl through once gently with a knife.

For cookie dough variation, drop spoonfuls of cookie dough over mixture and press down into mixture gently.


Cook for approximately 30 -35 minutes. Brownies should still be gooey in the middle when you take them out of the oven. Leave to cool in the tin until room temperature. I put mine in the fridge for an hour before I cut it but it isn't completely necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I'm reading this. I'm trying to lose 2kgs this month FML....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha you will put on 2kgs JUST reading it!!

    ReplyDelete