Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Sparkling Rose` Layer Cake: HAPPY NEW YEAR!


HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope everyone had a wonderful NYE, I found myself taking in the local fireworks at Reid Park a little sleep deprived and slightly cranky but I enjoyed it all the same. It was a good time to reflect upon the year that was and all the great things that happened. Highlights for me included:

               - Starting Sugarbuttacream!
               - Buying my first car
               - Starting my Bakers Apprenticeship

           
For this occasion I decided to bring out the big guns (ie my fancy piping skills and a layer cake!) and make this gorgeous Sparkling Rose` Layer Cake. I've seen this recipe at Whiskitforabiscuit and I knew I just had to try it and when I received a bottle of Sparkling Rose` from my boss around Christmas time I decided to save it for this very recipe. Sweetapolita gave me inspiration to decorate it with ruffles! I got the sides alright but I think I need to work on the top ruffles, it might be time to invest in a bigger petal tip!


Well I can't do a new year post without mentioning some goals for 2013. I plan to work harder on this blog to bring you more creative and adventurous recipes, at least once a week. I also want to learn more skills in baking and decorating wonderful cakes and sweets and how to photograph them beautifully.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me out this past year and supported me in everything i've done. My family, especially Mum, who follows my blog and tries out my recipes. My partner D who helps me eat all the sugar loaded foods I create so that my pants don't get too tight. And the whole blogging community who inspires me with their creations and stories. THANKS :)


Sparkling Rose` Layer Cake

(Adapted from Whiskitforabiscuit)

What you will need

3 cups plain flour, minus 3 tbsp
3 tbsp corn flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
170g butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 egg whites
2 cups Sparkling Rose`
Red gel food colouring

For the buttercream filling (and crumb coat)
2 cups icing sugar
3 tbsp butter, softened
2 tbsp Sparkling Rose`

For the buttercream icing
750g icing sugar
400g butter
2 tsp vanilla
Red gel food colouring

What you will need to do


Preheat oven to 180*C and spray two cake tins (the same size) with oil and lightly flour. Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy then add the red food colouring to reach desired tint. In a separate bowl sift together dry ingredients and set aside. Gradually add egg whites to butter and sugar mix and beat on medium. Don't be alarmed if the mixture looks curdled, it will be alright. Add to this the dry ingredients alternately with the Sparkling Rose` and mix until completely incorporated.

Divide mixture between the two cake tins evenly. Place in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes or until set. Once cooked, remove from oven and cool in tins for about 10 minutes. Use a knife to loosen cakes around the edges and jiggle and tap tins on bench to make sure they are loose on the bottom. Turn cakes out onto wire rack and cool completely. Wrap cakes in plastic wrap and place in freezer until frozen. I find cakes are easier to cut and ice when they are frozen.

To make the buttercream filling, place ingredients in a bowl and beat until creamy and light. Remove cakes from freezer and using a large serrated knife cut each into two layers. Place a blob of buttercream on a cake board or plate that cake will be presented on and place the first cake layer securely on top. Cover this layer in buttercream about 5mm thick. Place next layer of cake on top and repeat until all layers are filled. When you get to the top, use the remaining buttercream to cover the top and sides of the cake, this will be your crumb layer to hold all the crumbs in. Place cake in fridge to set.

To make the buttercream icing, place ingredients in a bowl and bet until creamy and light, use as much colouring as needed to achieve desired tint. Remove cake from fridge. Cover the cake in a thin layer of the pink buttercream using just using a palette knife or spatula. To create the ruffle effect, put a petal tip in the end of a piping bag and fill bag with buttercream. Place tip at the bottom edge of the cake with the thin end of the petal tip facing out and the fat end touching the cake. In a side to side motion pipe the buttercream from the bottom to the top of the cake. Repeat this all around the outside of the cake. For the top, start on the outer rim and put the fat side of the petal tip towards the outside and the thin side of the petal tip towards the middle of the cake and pipe in a forward and back motion around the edge in a big circle. Repeat with consecutive circles getting closer to the middle. For a great tutorial just hit up you tube :)


No comments:

Post a Comment